Thursday, March 4, 2010

Snow – Finally…

The last couple of weeks have been busy to say the least… I have been working on getting the whole Arctic Fox Project (AFP) up and running. It has been a lot of writing, emailing and phone talking. The project is growing bigger and bigger and I am constantly in contact with other photographers, biologists, researchers, editors and possible supporters. What started out as a small idea is now growing in size and starting to make sense? The whole idea of the project is to raise awareness about some important issues happening up north. But more on that in my next post…

Meanwhile I have got some great news – I have been in contact with Canon and National Geographic Nordic and both have agreed to support the project. National geographic Nordic will be the project main Media Partner and Canon will be Image Partner. I am really happy that two such great partners have joined in the efforts of telling this important story.

But while all this has been happening, there has been no snow on Iceland. The place I am going is close to the Arctic Circle and let me say it again… “THERE HAS BEEN NO SNOW” Incredible, what is happening? Down south here in Denmark we have had more snow than for decades and temperatures have plummeted way below zero. Some people have even started debating the reality of global warming. But way up north in Iceland, Greenland and Canada, the winter has been warmer than ever. In the Disko Bay area snow conditions has been so poor that it has not been possible to go out with the dogsledge and we are talking about a place 400 km north of the Arctic Circle. My friend even joked about going on winter holiday to Denmark.
But then yesterday I got an email from Ester at the Arctic Fox Centre. They had just had a snowstorm for some days and now the whole landscape is covered in beautiful white snow. So now I hope that it will last until end march so that I can go to photograph the foxes in a proper winter landscape. So, I for one do not hope for an early spring. At least not in Iceland…

No comments:

Post a Comment